August 11, 2008

Are you a Feminist?

Deep inside my vivid imagination I could picturize myself getting involved in a fiery discussion, with the mentioned question above as the topic of the discussion.

And my answer would be "No, I'm not a feminist."

(Surprised? Angry? Starting to condemn me? Wait, hold on)

"Though I'm a loyal supporter of feminist ideas. Yet on a more personal level, I consider myself a 'meritocrat', if such word exist in the dictionary.

"I prefer to judge a person based on their quality and ability, not based on their sexual, racial, or age background. It doesn't matter if you're black, white, green, man, woman, or anything we never heard of, if you got what it takes, then go for it. People Power, not Girl Power. 'cuz I found that the biggest mistake a feminist made is to put women inside a box on a lop-sided scale, and repeat the injustice that they once tried to eliminate.

"Take an example of the women quota policy. Yes, the policy has a good intention; the encourage women participation in politics, and to gave them the time and place to do so. Yet by giving 30% of seat in the parliament especially reserved for women, then we are cutting of the 'jatah' for those potencial, competent men out there who could actually do many great things, but does not have the chance to do so, just because they don't have a uterus. We tried to eliminate discriminations, but end up creating a new one. Beside, are we women really that weak that we actually need a 'special help' just to have a seat in the parliament? I don't think so. History had proven to us that many of the strongest women in politics (e.g. Margaret Thatcher, Benazir Bhutto) did not enter politics due to the help of a quota. I even found that the existence of such quota is degrading for women, as it was based on the assumption that we are so behind that we actually need to be lifted in a 'carrier' just to walk and have a sit in the House."

(Pause. Taking a deep breath in the middle of a hot debate)

"I could never deny how Feminism had gave such a great contribution in my life. Let's just say that, without it, I'm nothing. I consider people like R.A Kartini as a hero, and loved the ideas that Begum Rokeya S. portrayed in Sultana's Dream. But I prefer to get back to basic. When feminism first got started, our intention was to eliminate discrimination, and to promote equality. If there is a woman who is capable enough to be the head of our faculty, then let her be. But if there is a man who had even better qualification, then let him do it instead of her. Don't give it away to a women just because you want to promote Girl Power, and let this amazing, highly qualified person be left behind, just because he is not a woman. Meritocracy is the spirit of Feminism, and I chose to live in the spirit instead of the label."

Hm. Whoa. Now, who am I going to call to have such interesting talks?

No comments: